In May 2023, a federal judge in New York discovered six fake cases cited in a plaintiff’s attorney’s brief. The lawyer’s response? He used ChatGPT and was “unaware of the possibility that its contents could be false.” The subsequent sanctions hearing spurred much conversation in the legal community. Should lawyers steer clear of AI tools like ChatGPT? Or would prohibiting the use of AI altogether be a disservice to lawyers and their clients? So long as lawyers understand the limitations of the technology and their responsibilities under the rules of professional conduct, AI tools have the potential to greatly benefit their practice.This presentation is approved for one hour of General MCLE credit* in California.
- What Is Artificial Intelligence?
- How does AI work?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of AI in a legal setting?
- How Can AI Help a Lawyer’s Practice?
- What Are a Lawyer's Ethical Responsibilities When Using AI?
- Duty of Competence
- Responsibility for Work Product
- Duty to Supervise
- Knowingly-False Statements
- Duty of Confidentiality
*CLE credit is only available to Justia Connect Pros. Not a Pro? Upgrade today>>
Credits: 1.0 General
Earn Credit Until: July 30, 2025